Official Social/Recreational Kickball Rules
We know kickball and adult beverages go together; however, alcoholic beverages are illegal at public parks. Please don't bring it to the field; Not only do you risk getting cited by the police, we risk losing access to fields. Please help us protect kickball, and wait until you get to the bar.
- Team rosters shall include a minimum of 15 players, including at least 5 of each gender.
- The maximum number of players on the field is 11, with at least 4 of each gender.
- The minimum number of players on the field is 6, with no gender minimum.
- All players present for a game must be placed in the kicking order, unless the player elects not to play.
- All players must be registered with the League to play with the team. Unregistered substitutes are not permitted. Any team found to be playing with an unregistered player will receive a 3 run penalty and the unregistered player will be removed. Any team with multiple illegal players will forfeit the game. In the Playoffs, any team with illegal players will suffer a forfeit.
- Team Captains reserve the right to do a Roster Check of the Opposing Team if there is suspected illegal players.
- When a team has fewer than the required number of players of a specified gender available, players of one gender may not be substituted for members of another gender. For example, if a team has 10 total players available at game time, but only 3 are female, the team must play short in the field with 9 players.
- Fielding teams are required to play catcher and pitcher.
- No substitutes for the catcher are permitted during the inning; catchers may only be changed between innings.
- If Games are Postponed/Canceled due to inclement weather or other factors, a game is considered official after 4 Full Innings or 3.5 innings if Home Team hasn't Kicked but is Leading.
- Late Registration: a team may add players to the roster through the 3rd scheduled game provided the team captain approves. The league fee shall be pro-rated for the remainder of the season with the late fee built in. All players must be formally registered with the League and paid in full prior to playing.
- Each game shall be officiated by a League-assigned referee.
- Referees are responsible for:
- Keeping game time.
- Keeping score.
- Enforcing all game rules.
- Tracking all counts and outs.
- The referee shall eject a player from the game if that player engages in unsportsmanlike conduct. If a Player is ejected from a game, they are suspended for the following game as well. If in Playoffs, they are suspended for the entirety of the Playoffs. If a 2nd Ejection occurs during the Season, that Player is suspended for the remainder of the Season.
- An ejected player must leave the field and facility immediately; failure to do so may result in removal from the league.
- Games may be played on any flat grassy area with sufficient space for an infield and outfield.
- The distance between bases shall be 60 feet.
- First base shall include a safety base placed to the right; overruns must be made on the safety base. Failure to do so could result in runner being called out if contact is made with opposing player.
- The back corners of the kicker's box shall be placed along the foul lines extended 10 feet from the home plate.
- The field shall be bounded by a sideline measuring 10 feet from the foul line. No player or spectator shall reside within the sidelines except for those actively playing, the game officials, and a 1st and 3rd base coach.
- All game equipment shall be provided by the League.
- Players must wear their League-Provided T-Shirts of the appropriate color for their team. Beginning the fourth week, any team that has more than 1 player, that intends on playing in the game, that is not physically wearing their League T-Shirt will receive a 1 run penalty for each ascending player beyond that 1. This can be waived by the league on special occasion nights, such as Halloween.
- Steel cleats are prohibited. Plastic and rubber cleats are allowed unless league notes otherwise.
- Each game shall be completed in no more than 7 innings or 55 minutes, whichever comes first.
- No new inning may begin after 45 minutes; any inning being played after 45 minutes shall be the last inning of the game.
- Any inning in progress shall end immediately, and both teams shall vacate the field when:
- The clock has passed 45 minutes with the home team leading in the bottom of the inning (home team wins), or;
- The clock has passed 55 minutes; the score shall revert to the score at the previous full inning, with the team leading at the end of the previous full inning declared the winner.
- *If in the umpire's judgement a team is excessively stalling, the umpire has the right to extend the game by one inning (in scenarios when the time limit is reached before the innings limit).
- In the event of a tied score after the final inning, the game shall be recorded as a tie.
- A coin toss shall determine the home team, who shall have a choice to either kick first or field first.
Pitching & Catching
The Roller/Pitcher must release the ball on the roller's mound/mat. At the end of the release, the pitcher CAN NOT at any time cross the roller's mound nor can they start their pitching motion while not standing on the Roller’s Mat (No Running Start). Doing so will result in an illegal pitch. After 1 warning, Kickers will be allowed to take a Base for each infraction thereafter.
- No defensive player, including the pitcher, may cross the invisible line between 1st and 3rd base prior to the ball being kicked. The first violation of encroachment of the invisible line will result in the team being warned and a re-kick, if necessary. The second violation, and thereafter, will result in the kicker choosing the option of re-kicking or being awarded first base.
The pitch must pass within the 1-foot strike zone around and no more than 2 inches above home plate.
- The pitch must have bounced twice or be rolling on the ground when crossing the plate and be Flat with no bounce throughout Flight of the Pitch.
- The pitch must be a Flat Roll Pitch, excessive speed or any spin will be called illegal. First Warning is 2 Balls, Second Warning, and thereafter, will result in 2 Base Penalty.
- Pitchers must release the ball from below the waist and can not, during delivery of the pitch, take the ball over their shoulder.
- The catcher must remain behind the kicking box until the kicker makes contact with the ball. The catcher may NOT stand to the side of the kicking box or so closely to the kicker as to interfere with his or her ability to kick, until contact is made with the ball.
- Fielders must leave room in the base path for runners. Blocking a base or interfering with a runners ability to move freely will result in the runner being automatically safe at the intended base of the officials discretion.
- All teams must create a lineup. Any team may ask for the opposing teams lineup before the game and it must be exchanged.
- Kicking order issues are the responsibility of teams. If at any time a lineup order comes in to question, and a lineup is not available, no action will be taken. If lineups have been exchanged and player kicks out of order, an out will be assessed for every kicker that was skipped.
There must be at least 4 players of each Gender in the kicking order. If there are fewer than the required number of players of a particular Gender, that point in the lineup shall be counted as an out.
- There is no alternating gender requirement in the kicking order.
- All players who have fielded or will field must be included in the kicking lineup, except for injured players who have withdrawn from the game.
- Bunting is permitted for Females in Social Kickball and not allowed for Males. Males must attempt kick. A Male Bunt Attempt is a 2 Strike Penalty (unless they have 2 strikes already, then the Kicker is Out).
- 3 strikes is an out and is called when:
- The ball crosses the strike zone without being kicked.
- The kicker swings at but misses the ball.
- The ball is kicked foul.
- Fouls are always counted as strikes, including on a 2 strike count, and are called when:
- The ball lands or is touched in foul territory.
- The ball lands inside the foul line, but rolls outside the foul line before reaching the 1st or 3rd base lines. A ball that lands past the 1st or 3rd base lines but rolls into foul territory shall be considered fair.
- Contacts the ball behind home plate with any part of the body above the knee.
- The kicker kicks the ball with any part of the foot planted outside the kicking box, including in front of home plate. All balls must be kicked inside box.
- The kicker makes a "double-kick", i.e. kicks or contacts the ball after the initial kick while still behind home plate.
- 4 balls allows the kicker to advance to first base as is called when:
- Ball fails to pass through the 1-foot strike zone around home plate.
- Ball bounces more than 2 inches above strike zone.
- Ball bounces fewer than twice prior to crossing the strike zone.
- Stealing bases and leading off bases is illegal. A player who was leading the base prior to the hit shall be called out.
- Sliding into ANY base is illegal. A player who slides into any base or initiates contact with the defensive player shall be called out. Runners are strongly encouraged to use the safety base at first.
- There is no infield fly rule; the runner may commit when the ball is touched by a fielder, regardless of whether or not it was caught.
- Play shall end when the pitcher has control of the ball within 10 feet of the pitcher's mound. Any runners in motion at this time, and at the ref's discretion, must stop at the base they are moving towards.
- A runner is out when:
- Fielder catches a fly ball.
- Gets 3 strikes.
- Base is tagged on a forced run.
- Runner is tagged by a fielder in possession of the ball.
- Comes in contact with the ball, except when thrown by a fielder at the head.
- Runner is off base when the ball is kicked.
- A runner that is tagged or hit in the head by a ball shall be considered safe at their intended base, unless that player was sliding or intentionally placed their head in the path of the ball.
- In the event of an overthrow into foul territory in an attempt to make a play, the runner may advance only as far as the base they are running toward plus the next base. This is a restriction on the advance of the runner; runners are NOT automatically awarded the base unless ref deems ball unplayable (over the fence, in the woods, etc.)
- Pinch running due to injury only is permitted at 1st, 2nd and 3rd base provided the pinch runner is of the same gender. The runner who was substituted for shall be removed permanently from the game. Pinch running at kick is not permitted.
- Any runner who punches or kicks a ball while running the bases, or attempts to punch or kick a ball from a defender, is immediately out; the play is called dead, and all runners currently on base must go back to their last touched base.
- Runners can not intentionally touch, yell at, or severely interfere, intentionally, with a fielder making a catch. Referees can immediately call any runner out if they deem this rule to have been violated.
The inning shall advance when a team scores 7 runs in the inning. The mercy rule shall be called and the inning advanced immediately upon scoring the 7th run. The mercy rule advances the inning; it does not end the game except when team is down by more than 7 going into the 7th inning, more than 14 going into the 6th inning, or more than 21 going into the 5th inning, the game will be called.
Late Arrival Penalties & Forfeits
- Teams must be ready to play and meet game start requirements within 5 minutes after the posted game time.
- If a team is not ready to play at 5 minutes past the posted game time, it shall incur an immediate 2 run penalty, awarded to the opposing team.
- If a team is still not ready to play after 10 minutes, it shall incur an additional 2 run penalty.
- If a team is not ready to play after 15 minutes, it shall forfeit the game, with the opposing team receiving a total of 6 runs, for a final score of 6 - 0.
- Any players who show up after the game has started shall be added to the end of the kicking order.
- Teams that forfeit (3) times during one season will be removed from the league schedule and forfeited out of the league.
Playoff Tie Breaker
- Ties are not permitted in playoff games. In the Playoffs, we will go to extra innings and start each inning with the 3 previous kickers on base with no outs. The Winner will be determined with the Team that is up after that inning concludes. If a Tie occurs after the first Extra Inning, we will go to a 2nd Extra Inning until a Winning Team is Declared.
- Email & Text Alerts are primarily used to inform participants of canceled games due to inclement weather and field conditions. These cancellation decisions typically don't occur before 4pm the day of the game. Participants should always assume their game is being played as scheduled unless they hear otherwise.
- Everplay Sport & Social Club will make all efforts to reschedule up 2 weeks of games per season due to weather related cancellations. Any cancellations after that, may not be made up due to time and scheduling constraints.
FOR ANY RULES NOT COVERED ABOVE, EVERPLAY REVERTS TO ASA SOFTBALL RULES.